From the Abbey of Notre-Dame-de-Pontaut, Gascony / Chapter House / 12th centuryFrom the Abbey of Notre-Dame-de-Pontaut, Gascony
Chapter House
12th century

View Larger Image

View Full Catalog Record Below

This image is one of over 108,000 from the AMICA Library (formerly The Art Museum Image Consortium Library- The AMICO Library™), a growing online collection of high-quality, digital art images from over 20 museums around the world. offers subscriptions to this collection, the finest art image database available on the internet. EVERY image has full curatorial text and can be studied in depth by zooming into the smallest details from within the Image Workspace.
Preview the AMICA Library™ Public Collection in Luna Browser Now

  • Cultures and time periods represented range from contemporary art, to ancient Greek, Roman, and Egyptian works.
  • Types of works include paintings, drawings, watercolors, sculptures, costumes, jewelry, furniture, prints, photographs, textiles, decorative art, books and manuscripts.

Gain access to this incredible resource through either a monthly or a yearly subscription and search the entire collection from your desktop, compare multiple images side by side and zoom into the minute details of the images. Visit for more information on the collection, click on the link below the revolving thumbnail to the right, or email us at .

Creator Nationality: European; French
Creator Dates/Places: French
Creator Name-CRT: From the Abbey of Notre-Dame-de-Pontaut, Gascony
Title: Chapter House
View: Principal view
Creation Start Date: 1100
Creation End Date: 1199
Creation Date: 12th century
Creation Place: From the Abbey of Notre-Dame-de-Pontaut, Gascony
Object Type: Decorative Arts and Utilitarian Objects
Materials and Techniques: Limestone
Dimensions: 42 x 33 ft. (1 m 280 cm x 1 m 5 cm)
Description: The chapter house was the place where members of a monastic community met each day to discuss the business of the day. This example comes from an abbey in Pontaut in southwestern France, founded in 1115 under Benedictine rule. Stone benches around three walls of the chapter house provide seats for the monks, and large archways on the fourth side open onto the cloister walk. The columns supporting the vaulting have capitals carved with stylized animal and plant motifs. This ornament probably belongs to the first phase of construction at Pontaut, before the abbey became Cistercian in 1151.
AMICA Contributor: The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Owner Location: New York, New York
ID Number: 35.50
Credit Line: The Cloisters Collection, 1935
Copyright: Copyright ? 2002 The Metropolitan Museum of Art. All rights reserved.
AMICA ID: MMA_.35.50
AMICA Library Year: 2002
Media Metadata Rights: Copyright (c) 2002 The Metropolitan Museum of Art. All Rights Reserved

AMICA PUBLIC RIGHTS: a) Access to the materials is granted for personal and non-commercial use. b) A full educational license for non-commercial use is available from Cartography Associates at c) Licensed users may continue their examination of additional materials provided by Cartography Associates, and d) commercial rights are available from the rights holder.

Home | Subscribe | Preview | Benefits | About | Help | Contact
Copyright © 2007 Cartography Associates.
All rights reserved.