From the Church of Notre-Dame de la Daurade / Two Columns / 400?600From the Church of Notre-Dame de la Daurade
Two Columns

View Larger Image

View Full Catalog Record Below

This image is one of over 108,000 from the AMICA Library (formerly The Art Museum Image Consortium Library- The AMICO Library™), a growing online collection of high-quality, digital art images from over 20 museums around the world. offers subscriptions to this collection, the finest art image database available on the internet. EVERY image has full curatorial text and can be studied in depth by zooming into the smallest details from within the Image Workspace.
Preview the AMICA Library™ Public Collection in Luna Browser Now

  • Cultures and time periods represented range from contemporary art, to ancient Greek, Roman, and Egyptian works.
  • Types of works include paintings, drawings, watercolors, sculptures, costumes, jewelry, furniture, prints, photographs, textiles, decorative art, books and manuscripts.

Gain access to this incredible resource through either a monthly or a yearly subscription and search the entire collection from your desktop, compare multiple images side by side and zoom into the minute details of the images. Visit for more information on the collection, click on the link below the revolving thumbnail to the right, or email us at .

Creator Nationality: European; French
Creator Dates/Places: French; Toulouse
Creator Name-CRT: From the Church of Notre-Dame de la Daurade
Title: Two Columns
View: Principal view
Creation Start Date: 400
Creation End Date: 600
Creation Date: 400?600
Creation Place: From the Church of Notre-Dame de la Daurade
Object Type: Decorative Arts and Utilitarian Objects
Materials and Techniques: marble
Dimensions: H. 74 1/4 in. (188.6 cm)
Description: These columns, along with some twenty others, are all that remain of the "Golden Church" of La Daurade. The church was famous for the gold mosaics that covered the niches and walls of its seven-sided sanctuary, hence its name, derived from deaurata, Latin for "gilded" . Rows of elegant columns framing the niches contributed to its lavish interior. Founded as a nunnery around 399, it was converted to a male monastic house by the 800s and destroyed in 1761.
AMICA Contributor: The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Owner Location: New York, New York
ID Number: 21.172.1-2
Credit Line: Purchase, Rogers Fund, and Henry Walters and George Blumenthal Gifts, 1921
Copyright: Copyright ? 2002 The Metropolitan Museum of Art. All rights reserved.
AMICA ID: MMA_.21.172.1-2
AMICA Library Year: 2002
Media Metadata Rights: Copyright (c) 2002 The Metropolitan Museum of Art. All Rights Reserved

AMICA PUBLIC RIGHTS: a) Access to the materials is granted for personal and non-commercial use. b) A full educational license for non-commercial use is available from Cartography Associates at c) Licensed users may continue their examination of additional materials provided by Cartography Associates, and d) commercial rights are available from the rights holder.

Home | Subscribe | Preview | Benefits | About | Help | Contact
Copyright © 2007 Cartography Associates.
All rights reserved.